Luxembourg Police and Luxembourg Airport celebrate today, in the presence of Etienne Schneider, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Economy and Internal Security and Francois Bausch, Minister for Sustainable Development and Infrastructure the successful inauguration of the joint project of installing automated border control gates (ABC-Gates) at Luxembourg Airport.
Improving passenger flows and service while keeping save borders was the joint goal of establishing the new ABC-Gates. Passengers traveling to Non-Schengen and arriving from Non-Schengen countries will benefit from the reduced processing time and the spacious, modern area. Approximately 20% of the passengers flying from and to Luxembourg Airport enter or exit via the border control. Moreover, this figure might increase due to the addition of new destinations, like Ra’s al-Chaima, in the United Arab Emirates operated by Luxair from October 2018.
Increasing the number of border control lanes from 3 to 9 at the Immigration and from 3 to 8 at the Emigration, will address this increasing demand. “With the implementation of the automated border control gates, we followed our common goal to increase the service to the passengers while maintaining our safe borders.” underlines Etienne Schneider, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Economy and Internal Security.
“Re-designing the border control gates at Luxembourg Airport was crucial for staying a modern and safe airport. With the new and additional gates, we will speed up the passport control for all passengers in this area. “ explains Francois Bausch, Minister for Sustainable Development and Infrastructure.
“The new area is a perfect example how, together with our partners, we use technology to reach the goals of our airport concept, combining all the comfort of big airports with the relaxed travel experience of smaller, regional airports.”, adds René Steinhaus, CEO ad interim lux-Airport.
Facts & Figures about the ABC-Gates:
- Investment of 3.65 Mio € in total
- Thereof 1,3 Mio. € by the Luxembourg Government (thereof 64% co-financed by the EU Internal Security Fund)
- Thereof 2,35 Mio. € by lux-Airport
- Installation of 10 automated border control lanes
- Increased capacity for Immigration from Non-Schengen countries from 3 to 9 lanes
- Increased capacity for Emigration to Non-Schengen countries from 3 to 8 lanes
- Area for Immigration and Emigration doubled to 248 sqm
- Project realization in 7 months, while the Non-Schengen gates stayed operational at all time
Benefits for passengers:
- Reduced waiting time for all passengers at the border controls
- Easy, fast emigration and immigration
- Secure borders due to a biometric scan
- Smooth travel experience
Who can use the Automated Border Control-Gates (ABC-Gates):
- Persons at the age of minimum 18 years
- Passport holders of EU/EEA/CH
- Holders of a biometric passport, also known as an e-passport or digital passport
How to use the ABC-Gates:
Discover more pictures on our Instagram Account: @lux_Airport