It was in 1930 that Luxembourgish aviation pioneers chose the site of Findel to practice their passion. The war delayed the project, and it was only in 1945 that Findel Airport started its operations. It was opened in 1946.
With a grass runway and a small wooden building, the airport already hosts already over thousand flights in 1946, that number is steadily increasing since. Traffic growth leads to the construction of two new runways in early 1950: one from 2000 by 60 meters and the other from 1600 by 50 meters. In 1954, the main runway was marked and extended to 2830 meters. These measures finally allowed the Grand Duchy of having an international airport which can handle night flights.
This expansion of the airport was partly due to the company "Luxembourg Airlines' which was renamed as Luxair in 1962. In 1970, the year of the birth of the cargo flights company Cargolux. A new modern terminal was built in 1975 and in 1976, the new cargo center has been inaugurated. In October 1984, the main runway has been extended to 4,000 meters. In the 1990s, a new control tower, centralizing air traffic control and radio engineering was put into service.
In 2004, the terminal B which is specialized in handling smaller aircraft has been put into service. The construction of a new main terminal, which is able to accommodate up to 3 million passengers per year has been allocated to lux-airport in 2002. The new terminal A began operations in May 2008.